National Pasture Development Facility (NPDF)
…….Promoting domestic investment in pasture production for export
About The Facility
The National Pasture Development Facility (NPDF) seeks to engage smallholder pasture farmers, small, medium and large farmers; government-owned grazing reserve facilities, investors and service providers towards producing high-quality pasture, specifically, Rhodes Grass for the export markets. The Facility and the national Rhodes Grass production program are managed by the Commodities Development Initiative (CDI) – the parent body of the Nigeria Agribusiness Register- in partnership with Government and donor partners.
Our goal is to put Nigerian-made Rhodes Grass (Chloris Guyana) in the international export market by providing end-to-end services and support to the value chain. In partnership with the Government, we are using the NPDF to promote and facilitate the cultivation, processing and aggregation of high-quality Rhodes Grass for the Middle East market.
Rhodes grass is a perennial or annual tropical grass. It is a leafy grass, 1-2 m in height, highly variable in habit. It’s one of the improved pasture species in Nigeria that has been increasingly cultivated over the last few years in the country due to its high dry matter yield, favourable economics of cultivation, and superiority over other perennial forage grasses. We need 20,000 metric tons of Rhodes Grass hay monthly to fulfil our market requirements.
|Product Name||Rhodes Grass|
|Scientific Name||Chloris Gayana|
|Place of Origin||Nigeria|
|Crude Protein||8% Min|
|Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF)||45% Max|
|Neutral Detergent Fiber (NGF)||65% Max|
|Packing||250-450 kg Bales|
To produce Rhodes Grass of the desired quality and quantity, we have chosen to adopt the Farming-As-A-Service (FAAS) model. Also through a partnership approach involving us, the government and producers (PPPP), we intend to consistently put Nigeria Rhodes Grass in the international market for the mutual benefit of all stakeholders.
You can participate in this opportunity through the following ways:
- As a State Government partner, facilitate and support farmers and investors in your state to participate through your Grazing Reserve facilities.
- Invest in owning and operating a pasture field in your community that will be connected to a pasture collection centre
- Invest in owning and operating an ‘Area or State Pasture Collection Centre’ through a CDI Franchise
- Be a service provider offering farm management and other agro-related services to our farmers, processors and others within the value chain.
- Be trained as an extension agent (EA) providing services to farmers
For more details about any of the above investment or participation intentions, please contact Mr Nath Odiba (email@example.com) or call +234 805 785 7864.